Become A Lifeguard
Interested in becoming a lifeguard?
The City of Douglas hires seasonal lifeguards throughout the year.
- Lifeguarding gives young workers a lot of transferable skills that are important in many other jobs as well as everyday life. It prepares workers for the next step in their careers.
- Lifeguarding is also a fun and rewarding job. If you're thinking about getting a job, become a lifeguard!
- Applicants must be 16 years or older
- Must successfully pass a swim pretest to register for the lifeguard class. In order to pass the swim test, applicants must be able to:
- Swim 300 yards continuously while demonstrating control and rhythmic breathing.
- Applicants must swim and retrieve a 10 pound object, while keeping it above the surface within 50 seconds.
- For the final event, applicants must tread for 2 minutes using only their legs.
Junior Lifeguarding Program
Enroll Now! Online registration now available!
The City of Douglas is offering an in-depth Jr. Lifeguarding program that is designed to prepare kids between the ages 12-15 to become future lifeguards.
The Jr. Lifeguard program helps youth build a foundation of knowledge, attitude, and skills needed to be a lifeguard. Participants will also gain valuable experience and leadership skills.
Please note: this program does not certify participants in CPR, AED, and lifeguarding. Nor does this program guarantee a position with the City of Douglas.