- Departments M - Z
ResponsibilitiesThe Sanitation Division is responsible for collecting more than 6,000 tons per year of residential, commercial refuse, recyclables (cardboard), and bulk trash annually for more than 5,000 households. Refuse and bulk trash are delivered to a local Refuse Transfer Station owned and operated by Cochise County Facilities and Solid Waste.
Collection RequirementsStaff provides twice weekly residential collection services. Residents are required to:
- Only use containers that are provided by City of Douglas to dispose of garbage.
- DO NOT put loose trash in containers: garbage has to be in bags as large as 32-gallon bags
- Bundles of tree trimmings (18 inches in diameter and 28 inches in length and not to exceed 65 pounds) or a combination of the above but not to exceed 6 items collectively. They must be placed inside the container and must be bundled up.
- No construction material, bricks, roofing material, sheet-rock, cement, lumber, etc.
- No tires.
- Th Sanitation Dept cannot guarantee same day collection if container is set out late.
- 300-gallon containers cannot be moved/rotated.
As outlined in the Douglas Municipal Code, it is the responsibility of the owner or occupant of the property to dispose of large or bulky items such as mattresses, appliances, furniture, tree trunks, tires, etc. Residents must also maintain their property free of litter and weeds, which includes the right-of-way adjacent to their property line to the curb, edge of the street and adjacent alleyways.
Special PickupsA special pickup can be arranged at a flat rate fee of $15 by calling 520-417-7329 in advance; per pickup plus the cost of transfer station fees.
View details for Special Items Pickup Details (PDF).
Solid Waste Special Collection Request English Form
Solid Waste Special Collection Request Spanish Form